Saturday, February 9, 2013

Chemo Comparisons

Chemotherapy, though harsh, has some interesting benefits. 

My first twelve rounds of chemotherapy were of Paclitaxel.  Paclitaxel was not very nice to me in some ways because my hair fell out in large clumps and I had some peripheral neuropathy happening.  However, the antihistamines and anti-emetics given gave me an incredible high that lasted for days. 

My thoughts would run like this:

"I'm here.  I'm cool.  I look like a harpy.  Dude."

"I see you talking to me but processing what you are saying just isn't happening.  I'll fake it."

"Are you upset with me today?  I'm high.  I don't care."

I could go on but we would just be delving into the ridiculous.  To summarize, Paclitaxel was my F-it Pill.

My next eight rounds of chemotherapy were of Adriamycin and Cytoxan.  That combination was very mean and the anti-emetics given were not as fun.  Adriamycin is aptly nicknamed the red devil for so many reasons.  My hands turned a dark, murky red-brown and my nails discolored.  I also spent four days lying on the floor watching the world spin but that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment