Saturday, February 9, 2013

Why Is the Room Still Spinning?

When I began taking Adriamycin and Cytoxan, I faithfully followed my schedule of anti-emetics.  One of the pills affected me in a way that still makes me shudder with horror. 

A day or two after chemotherapy, I noticed that I was unsteady on my feet.  I wondered about this new cocktail being given to me but then shrugged off any worry.  The next day, my dizziness worsened.  The room began to tip back and forth.  I could barely get around the house.  Another day passed and the room began to spin.  I tried to stand but it was impossible.  I wondered if throwing up might stop the spinning but could not muster the courage to vomit.

It was summer time and my kids were playing rambunctiously in the living room.  I wanted to spend time with them so I lay on the floor and tried to watch them play.  It was like looking at the deck of a ship as it was angrily tossed about during a hurricane.  I hugged the floor and tried to focus on their fun. 

For four days, I lay on the floor of our living room.  Periodically, I would stagger to the restroom or shower like a drunkard.  Mostly, I slept.  Sometimes I watched the children out of one eye.  My husband is a hero to me.  He took on everything during those four awful days.  Finally, I stumbled to the kitchen to read the dancing description of side effects from each medicine bottle. 

As I read the list of side effects, I came to realize that my dizziness was caused by one of the medications.  How I despise those devil pills!  If I had a sling shot, I would send each capsule flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment