Wednesday, November 26, 2014

I Have No Arms

After many weeks of chemotherapy, I had a double mastectomy.  My surgeon was amazing.  He removed my boobs and tumor like a plastic surgeon and stitched me back together like an artist.  My tumor was gone, off to the lab to be dissected and analyzed.

After the surgery, my chest was wrapped in bandages.  I had a drain hanging from each side and I had several bottles of narcotics to take away the pain.  After visiting with the surgeon briefly, I also discovered that I had restrictions on movement and lifting for several weeks.  In essence, I had to act like I had no arms. 

It was going to be a real trick dealing with my young children while on the restrictions.  My oldest was five and my youngest was one.  They both loved to be cuddled and held.  My oldest was very sensitive to the fact that I had cancer and worried about the outcome of my surgery.  My youngest needed me to provide comfort and security as he explored the world on his two feet.  My husband was a great help while I recovered from the surgery.  He helped me snuggle the kids when they needed it the most and I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment